Volatility in online slots
It is time to stop the guesswork and use the basic mathematical model to evaluate the behaviour and current mood of online slots. I advise everyone to read this article CAREFULLY. I have repeatedly written that NetEnt and Microgaming are now the number one software providers - for a reason! The average RTP (return to player percentage) on their slots is much higher than the ones found on casinos that use Playtech and Novomatic software. This figure, when talking about Micro and NetEnt rarely falls under 96%, but on games by Novomatic and Playtech that threshold is 94%.
- Try all games for free or real money at the most recommended online casino - Fatpay, 100% trusted gambling place!
Manufacturers usually refer the odds of winning in online slots on the short term as the return to a player percentage or payback percentage (RTP). Often it is presented as follows: The expected return (RTP) is 95%. The advantage of an online casino (edge) is 5%. Both terms mean the same but in reverse. In the first case, it is understood that in the long term, the player can return 95% of his bets. In contrast, in the second case, the number 5% shows the percentage that online casino earns on each of your stakes and its advantage in the long run as well.
For example, games with 95% RTP for each wagered coin in a particular currency (dollar, euro) should give you back 0.95 of the investments. Therefore, manufacturers developed the RTP in a way to work ideally only after millions of spins, with chances of winning constantly improving and declining. For example, when you bet $1 and win $1.90 you take away not only the machines mathematically planned 95 cents reserved for you but also 95 cents from another player. Quite simply, it sounds like a casino earns 5 cents of every dollar bet on slot machines. Even though sometimes slots give very large winning and an online casino is in minus, mathematical calculations always help it profit in the long term.
Play slots with a high return to a player percentage (RTP)
If you think for a little bit, it's not difficult to guess that you need to play only slots with high RTP. In general, all slots with an RTP of 95% (better 96%) and more are suitable for players. RTP of 96-98% is much better, whereas payback rates below 90% are garbage and such slots aren't worth your attention. Slots with RTP of 90% and below are so greedy and stingy that they make their mother pay for a glass of tap water from their own home. Higher RTP doesn't necessarily mean that the game will continuously pour you winning. When it comes to this, no less important is the term variance. A slot with 97% RTP, but at the same time, low volatility will give small winning frequently. At the same time, a machine with RTP of 94%, but with high volatility, can enable "generous" mode for a long time and heartily compensate for your long-suffering so much that your jaw will drop.
What is the volatility and variance of online slots?
The variance and volatility have the same meaning: they reveal how risky an online slot is. In general, the volatility of a slot depends on how much risk it is to lose all money in a series of empty spins. High volatility means the slot is pretty risky to play, while the low variance shows that risk will be lower.
Not many casino software providers like to publish such information. Sometimes they make it available, but more often - hidden. Depending on the type and character of the player, there may be certain slots that suit his playing style more than the rest. There isn't a right answer to the question "what slots to choose?" Once you may enjoy some newly released slot, but its volatility may not be quite what you expected. In most cases, you need to hit the "Spin" button numerous times in a row to understand if the slot you chose is exciting and fun to play as well as to find out whether it's rewarding enough.
On our website, you can find all the hidden data of all slot machines by different developers. Please visit one of the following pages, depending on the developer of slots:
- NetEnt (Net Entertainment) slots
- Play'n Go
- Nyx (Nextgen)
- Novomatic (Novoline)
When to play at low volatility online slots?
Slots with low volatility are primarily reserved for entertainment. They often pay you small winning and are usually full of stars and unusual features. But what they won't give you 400x+ winning.
When to choose?
- You want to have fun;
- You don't have a large supply of money (bankroll);
- You want to play for as long as possible;
- You want to play from time to time and not leave with empty pockets;
- We need a selection of different bonuses and impressive in-game features. Entertain me the slot!
- Of course, not all slots with low volatility always pay small winning. Some slots can multiply your bet by 80-100 times.
- Low volatility slots - low risk because your budget will allow you to play the game for a long time.
- For beginners and for those who are just looking for fun - I recommend online slots with low volatility.
When to choose slots with high volatility?
Slots with high volatility have significant potential for big winning. We will illustrate shortly. Do you know that moment when you, an adventure-seeking man, see on the screen multipliers alongside free spins and stacked Wilds and you know that you've won an instant cash prize - the slot explodes announcing the BIG WIN!The MEGA BIG WIN!
You may start jumping from joy, yelling throughout your apartment, waking up the neighbours above and below, who have to get up for work in just 3 hours. But! Be careful - these slots come with the high risk of losing everything.
When to choose?
- You have a bunch of extra money;
- You choose: either a big win of 500x + or nothing;
- You can quickly stop playing after you have lost your planned budget;
- You don't mind that nothing happens. Are you ready to wait long and to spend a lot of money on triggering of the bonus feature, keeping in mind that when it comes, you will be the happiest man in the world?
- There is no doubt that when playing at online slots with high volatility, you leave the table either with an empty pocket or with big winning.
- The only possible strategy is to keep the betting rates from 150 up to 500 while you play high volatility online slots. If you play at Wish Master, for example, with a balance of €500, your stake per spin should be between €1 and €1.5.
How do I know the slot's volatility?
- Go to the section of free casino games and choose the developer. We have tested most of the online slots, and showing their hidden parameters (volatility, wagering rating, the probability of triggering of features).
- If you do not trust our results and the developer didn't publish such information, then the only way to learn it is to play the game.
First, look at the payout table
- First, if the slot promotes "Multi-Million" winning and similar opportunities, it's highly likely that its volatility is high.
- The higher is the maximum winning, and the more likely this online slot comes with high volatility.
- Secondly, look at the difference between the payout of 4 identical symbols per pay-line and for 5 symbols per line. If the difference is 3 to 5 times, you are most likely playing a low volatility slot. In contrast, if the difference is 10 to 15 times - it's closer to high volatility.
P.S. I recommend playing slots with a minimum RTP of 96%. As I have already mentioned, you can check RTP of various slots on the site and while you're at it - you can check out these pages with RTP, hidden data and demo play by the following developers by moving to free casino games section.
Where to play?
- Fastpay casino pays money to payment systems and bank cards within a few minutes (up to 5). They have a wide range of casino games (over 5000) and one of the best customer care in the online gambling industry.