What is "hot" pokie? How are the winning funds distributed in pokies? Are the hot pokies more profitable or is it better to avoid them? Why online casinos label such pokies?
How "hot pokies" function?
Go to the "Free casino pokies", and you will see a list with the RTP (return to player percentage). These values are laid by the developers, and they are publicly available. Usually, punters use this data to identify the "profitability" of the pokies. But, in addition to this data, there are important characteristics. There is the dispersion (or volatility) of the winning, probability of triggering the feature, wagering rating and the length of the cycle.
Pokies with long cycles and high dispersion of winning (so-called high-volatility pokies) for a long time collecting money in, accumulating a prize pool, become hot and then dump massive winning on the lucky players. Some of the casinos do all work instead of us, showing these machines with the hot label in their lobby list.
How to consider RTP?
Let's look at one of the most popular pokies - Blood Suckers. It has one of the highest percentages of return (RTP) - 98%. But it still doesn't mean that if you bet in €1000 - you will get for sure €980 back. The RTP number will be correct on a significant number of spins. On the short distance, it can happen anything: you can lose whole account balance or hit a massive win during first spins.
RTP of 98% in the pokie means the following
Everyone who plays at Blood Suckers in any online casinos creates a prize-pool. We believe that if an online casino is a white label - prize-pool is created for the whole network.
The 98% from this prize pool participates in the potential winning that can be created by the random number generator exactly on this pokie. At the next spin, money that was not paid in the previous one is added to the new players' bets and summarise. When "the prize pool" reaches a huge value, the pokie becomes hot.
- Let's imagine that in our pokie 10 punters are playing at the same time with the bet of €10 per spin each. Suppose that a new cycle begins when they put €100 in the prize pool (each of them made 1 spin at €10). Punters together bet in €100. The amount of €98 (as RTP is 98%) is reserved for winning in the next cycle.
- For example, in the current cycle, one player won €38 and remaining punters did not hit any winning. In the next cycle, the software will carry the amount of €60. Now players bet €100 again in the same pokie. To the current fund of €60 is added another €98. The amount for winning in the next cycle is now €158.
- After some number of spins, the fund will grow to several hundred, and the most part will be paid in a successful "bonus feature" or "the free spins feature" to any (or some) of the punters. When the sum of the fund exceeds €50,000, the pokie becomes "hot", and a corresponding symbol may appear near its name in the casino's lobby (depend on the casino).
- Find out more about the cycle and the dispersion (volatility) of the pokies.
Hot pokies have much more potential: players have a more chance to hit a big win. But here there are a few nuances:
- Many people are playing hot pokies, so you should be lucky to catch big winning several times in one gambling session.
- The pokie must have a long cycle turn to form a large pay-out prize pool for winning. Usually, pokies with the longer cycle have a higher potential of hitting a huge win.
What happens when a new punter is connected?
What happens when new players join the hot pokie? Since the personal statistics in an Australian online casino is an only correctional (not main) number, formed using the program classification of punters, statistics is not assigned to a particular player. Each new punter that joins to a hot pokie has the same chances to hit a big win.
Comparison with a lottery
You can imagine a lottery with an already formed jackpot and a large fund of the prize pool. In my opinion, not important how many tickets you bought in the previous drawings of the lottery and lost. You can have hundreds of tickets and loose, or you can win the whole bank by only one ticket.
The pokies work on the same principle. You can win every day - regardless of your statistics of winning or losses. The distribution of "the prize pool" can be visually shown on the pokies with a progressive jackpot. They are very hot - but only until the jackpot is not looted. After that, the pokie becomes normal again.
Look at the most popular pokies. They are almost always hot. The reason is that a lot of punters are wagering the bonus money in them, trying to get the positive mathematical expectation of winning. Read more about this in the following article:
If you want to get involved in a fight for a huge win, then you should search in the lobby of the Australian online casino hot pokies (with the label "hot"). They have much more significant potential. In general, hot pokies are like those with the progressive jackpots, but with lower volatility.
Where to play
- Fastpay casino has one of the best customer services and no-hassle withdraws (up to 5 minutes). There you will enjoy over 2500 pokies and VIP bonus program. This Australian online casino is on top place of our list.
- TTR casino pays money to payment systems and bank cards within a few minutes.