Top 10 high volatility pokies
One of the most common problems, when a new punter learn about online casinos, is what pokie to choose? He sees thousands of pokies in the lobby and has no idea what the difference between them is. We are offering a working strategy of selecting the best pokies. To know more, please click on the following link:
This article focuses mainly on pokies with high volatility (dispersion), which are very popular, due to their significant potential on very big winning. We hope that it will help beginners to choose the right pokies.
What is the volatility (variance) of pokies?
- This is a mathematical term which explains how often something deviates from the expected value. For example, low volatility pokies will give small but frequent winning and shouldn’t differ too much from their RTP (return to player percentage), while pokies with high volatility have a large difference between the minimum and maximum possible winning and play with sharp swings upwards and vice versa.
- Experienced players have adapted to it and know that pokies are usually divided into 3 groups: with low, medium and high volatility.
- In comparison to other casino games such as blackjack and roulette, even low volatility pokies can give a good winning on your bet. For example, Blood Suckers pokie by NetEnt has low volatility, but still have a potential for a big win when a bonus or free spins feature is triggered.
- The risk of playing on high volatility pokie is much higher. Here it is necessary to accept that you will either lose everything several times in a row, but when hit, - winning can be 1000x+. If you are searching for such winning, then you have to focus on high volatility pokies.
- Check the following articles: the cycles of winnings of a pokie, list of Netent pokies with high volatility.
Top 10 pokies with high volatility
Immortal Romance - Microgaming
- RTP of 96.86% does allow getting a positive mathematical expectation at the casino.
Immortal Romance is a stylish pokie with 243 lines to win that offers 4 unique bonus features, to which you are progressing when triggering the free spins feature.
- The frequency of falling of the bonus is statistically, every 160th spin (0,63%).
- Variance (volatility) is 9,02 out of 20 (average).
- The rating of the pokie for the wagering is 3.93 out of 10.
- Based on a vampire theme, Immortal Romance was developed in 2011, and it remains one of the most popular pokies in the world. Many punters won the Wild Desire feature that can give incredible multipliers (1000x+). Players have the opportunity to trigger this feature during any usual spin. The feature transforms between 1 and 5 reels into WILD reels. Maximum winning will be if all 5 reels will become wild.
- This is not the only opportunity to hit a big win: there are 4 different bonus features.
- Similar pokies by Microgaming are Playboy, Game of Thrones (243 Way), Thunderstruck 2, Jurassic Park and The Finer Reels of Life.
Dead or Alive - NetEnt
- Dead or Alive is probably one of few Netent pokies with the potential of winning over 1000x. This pokie is a traditional 9-line that has incredible potential.
- RTP of 96.8% allows obtaining a positive mathematical expectation of winning in the online casino.
- The frequency of triggering of the bonus free spins feature is statistically every 154th spins (0.65%).
- Variance (volatility) is 16,26 out of 20 (high).
- The rating of the pokie for the wagering is 0,81 out of 10. This is a low number. Do not even try to complete wagering here.
- The usual spins are boring - all potential is in the free spins feature. During the feature all wild symbol becomes sticky (will freeze on their positions and will remain until the end of the bonus feature)... and that’s how the pokie becomes interesting.
- If you're lucky enough to hit a Wild symbol on all five reels, you will also get an additional 5 spins. If you can catch a wild line - you will get the huge win.
- Wins over 1000x the bet isn’t uncommon in the pokie and if you are lucky enough to get several wild lines pokie can easily generate 3000-4000x and even bigger prizes.
- There aren’t many similar pokies to Dead or Alive since there are no more 9-line pokies; there are, however, similar machines that can pay big winning. The list includes: Break da Bank again (Microgaming), Thunderstruck (Microgaming) and Reel Steal (NetEnt).
Medusa 2 - Nextgen
- Medusa 2 is the second part of the successful Medusa pokie by Nyx (Nextgen). The second part has stacked wilds which brings maximum potential on big winning.
- RTP of 97,07% allows getting a positive mathematical expectation of winning in the online casino.
- The frequency of falling of the bonus is statistically, every 126th spin (0,79%).
- Variance (volatility) is 6,89 out of 20 (average).
- The rating of the pokie for the wagering is 4,88 out of 10.
- Medusa 2 provides 243 - lines (pay always) structure and is packed with many exciting features as well as the bonus free spins feature with locked reels in every free spin.
- Randomly triggered features on Medusa are “Medusa’s turned to stone” and “Medusa’s locked reels”. They can appear during any usual spin and have potential. Up to 5 reels can turn into Wild reels and give you the winning of 4860x the initial bet.
- Free spins are triggered when you hit three scatter symbols. During the free spins feature, random reels number become locked with each other (from 2 to a maximum of 5). On locked reels, the same symbols will fall. This feature increases the chances of hitting a big win or re-triggering the Scatter symbol, which will grant you 5 additional free spins.
- If you're a fan of locked reels feature, then you also should try playing the Twin Spin (NetEnt) pokie. Of course, Twin Spin doesn’t have so significant potential as Medusa 2, but it can surprise punters with high-paying symbols.
300 Shields - Nextgen
- 300 Shields is one of the most volatile pokies on this list, so wisely choose your bet size. The pokie can easily give the winning of 3000x+, due to the 300x multiplier on the last stage (4th) so the bonus feature.
- The expected payout percentage (RTP) is 95.25% does allow getting a positive mathematical expectation of winning in the online casino.
- The frequency of falling of the bonus is statistically, every 125th spin (0.80%).
- Variance (volatility) is 19,48 out of 20 (very high).
- The rating of the pokie for the wagering is 0,18 out of 10.
- During usual spins nothing exciting happens, the winnings are fairly small, and your bankroll will quickly melt away if you don’t trigger the bonus feature. The real action starts during the free spins.
- 3 or more shield symbols triggering the bonus feature, which will reward you with guaranteed 5 free spins. You need to collect more and more shields to move to higher levels, increasing the number of free spins and the multiplier on a scale of 2x, 5x, 25x, and, eventually, 300x. The important thing is to catch as many shields as possible at the beginning of the bonus game - then you will have a real chance to increase your balance. To progress you need to hit at least: 2 shields for 2nd level, 6 (in total) shields for 3rd and 12 to the last one. Note, that multiplier is applied only on winning with the wild symbol.
- Free spins can be retriggered by 3 or more scatters; you will get an additional 5 spins on the current level and seriously increase your chances to get to the fourth level.
- The multiplier is added only when a WILD is involved in the formation of the winning line, so in the later stages, you need lines with Wild symbols to progress. If you manage to collect a combination of 5 wild symbols at the stage when the multiplier is already 300x all symbols will pay you a substantial winning amount.
- Dream Line, of course, would be hitting 5 Wilds when the multiplier has reached 300x; this would mean your bet would be multiplied 12,000 times only for that single line, not including the others!
Pyramid - Quest for Immortality - NetEnt
- One of the most interesting releases by NetEnt is the Pyramid - the Quest for Immortality. This pokie uses an Avalanche feature, which we had a chance to see on Gonzo's Quest pokie.
- RTP of 96.4% does allow getting a positive mathematical expectation of winning in the online casino.
- Variance (volatility) is 8,14 from 20 (average).
- The rating of the pokie for the wagering is 3,78 out of 10.
- The pokie doesn’t use standard bonuses such as stacked wilds or identical reels, but it has a unique feature called Wild Generation, which creates wilds in the cap of the Pyramid when winning combinations are formed in highest line.
- As the number of winning in a row grows the multiplier increases. Maximum multiplier is 10x.
- The key to big winnings on this pokie is to get several winning combinations in a row; at the same time, if the Wild continues to be generated, along with the increases of the value of the multiplier, you will be lucky.
- The maximum potential winning on this pokie is 3,600,000 coins, but it is almost impossible to hit (get top paying symbols with a 10x multiplier); this means that potentially you can quickly get winning of 1000x+ your bet.
- There have already been shared print screens of playing screens with 5000x+ winning on small initial stakes.
The Wishmaster - NetEnt
- The Wishmaster is a pokie with very high potential on big winning by NetEnt. Players should pay close attention to choosing their stakes per spin. Here you can quickly lose all balance or hit a big win.
- RTP of 96.6% does allow getting a positive mathematical expectation of winning in the online casino.
- Variance (volatility) is 8,87 out of 20 (average to high).
- The rating of the pokie for the wagering is 2,08 out of 10.
- The main feature of the pokie is a scatter. It is enough to catch one scroll for Gene to jump out of the lamp and trigger you randomly with one of the features for next 10 spins. You can get multipliers, additional Wilds, Expanding Wilds, Wild reels, etc.
- To start a series of big winning, you have to hit another lamp during feature spins. If this happens, then additional power will be added to the action as well as an extra 5 feature spins.
- The maximum possible number of lamps is three; if a fourth one is hit; the first lamp will disappear to make room for the new. You can follow the number of currently active lamps and the remaining bonus spins in the upper left corner.
- The dream combination that will turn a few dozen spins mouth-watering winning is to hit a lamp with a random Wild, an expanding Wild and an additional Wild.
- There are many combinations with three lamps that allow you to win big, but the most important thing, nonetheless, is to generate as many Wilds as possible.
Rumpel Wildspins - Novomatic
- Rumpel Wildspins is a pokie based on a fairy tale by the Brothers Grimm and developed by Novomatic. In this pokie, as many have already described, there are stacked sticky Wilds; however, its true great potential lies in the game’s 20 pay-lines. You can mock this pokie for his classic Novomatic sounds and pretty outdated mechanics; but then, you have no idea how profitable it can be.
- The RTP of 95.1% does allow you to get a positive mathematical expectation of winning in the online casino.
- The frequency of falling of the bonus is statistically, every 191st spin (0,52%).
- Variance (volatility) is 5 out of 20 (low to average).
- The rating of the pokie for the wagering is 5,30 out of 10.
- In comparison to manufacturers such as NetEnt and Microgaming, Novomatic pokies may leave the impression that triggering of the bonus feature is a bit more complicated; nonetheless, in general, their bonus features are more profitable than the ones found on pokies by other manufacturers. The collection of Novomatic games features a large selection of stunning pokies, including classics such as Book of Ra, Lord of the Ocean and Flame Dancer.
- It is worth noting that almost all Novomatic pokies may pay very large winning because this provider creates pokies with high volatility. Nevertheless, the bonus feature on the pokie Rumpel Wildspins is one of the most exciting, especially when a lot of Wild symbols fall on the reels and then remain in their positions until the end of the bonus feature.
- Free spins are triggered when you hit 3 or more scatter symbols. You get 15 free spins, and, as noted above, any Wild that will land on the reels during the bonus round will remain in place until the end of the free spins. This bonus cannot be retriggered, but you have the opportunity to form a wild pay-line, which will continue to exist until the end, bringing you fabulous multiplication rates.
- Winning of more than 1000x+ the bet isn’t uncommon on Rumpel Wildspins, but you need a lot of Wilds on appropriate positions to achieve this goal.
Raging Rhino - WMS
- Raging Rhino is a super high volatile pokie by WMS (Williams Interactive) and one of the most popular pokies among online casino players. Initially, this pokie was designed for land-based casinos, and it was later moved to the manufacturer’s online platform; thus, so you get an authentic casino experience while playing this pokie.
- Raging Rhino has a non-standard structure of reels - 6x4 and a total of 4096 active lines.
- Much attention is paid to the symbols that appear during the free spins feature. Three or more scatter symbols trigger the free spins feature, while extra 2+ scatters during it triggers more spins.
- During the free spins feature real magic lies in the Wild symbols. During usual spins, a wild act as usual (a substitute for other symbols). However, during the free spins, it also rewards you with a random multiplier of 2x or 3x. Wild multipliers are multiplicative. That is, if the two Wilds with multipliers 2x and 3x are hit, the final multiplication will be 6x.
- Wild can appear only on reels 2, 3, 4 and 5. This means the dream combination on this pokie is to hit a total of 4 Wilds on 4 out of 6 reels in total.
- Raging Rhino is a pokie that has to be played with great care, just like all other pokies with high volatility. The winning in the bonus feature range from a minimum of 10x (guaranteed) to 3000x+ and even higher.
Montezuma - WMS
- Montezuma is another high volatility pokie by WMS, which was moved to online from brick and land-based casinos. While during usual spins Montezuma is not much different from the previously mentioned Raging Rhino, the pokie has a unique bonus free spins feature with multipliers up to 10x as well as an unlimited number of retriggers.
- Usual spins on Montezuma showing nothing unusual; there are stacked top-paying symbols, which could potentially bring a big winning, but the main focus and the potential of the pokie are in the free spins feature.
- To start the free spins, feature you have to hit at least three scatter symbols and then spin the wheel of fortune, which will award you some free spins ranging from 3 to 25.
- Before each spin during the bonus feature, the wheel begins to rotate once again, determining multiplier by which the winning in current spin will be increased. If the player hits at least two scatters during feature spins additional spins with the current multiplier will be triggered.
- The multiplier ranges from 2 to 10 and if you happen to re-trigger 10x, prepare your pockets for money. The possible best scenario is to re-trigger free spins at a 10x multiplier and then continue to trigger additional free spins while you’re already at this special stage.
Cazino Zeppelin - Yggdrasil
- Cazino Zeppelin is a known pokie by Yggdrasil Gaming. The pokie has 20 pay-lines and a layout of 5x3. Just like Dead or Alive and Rumpel Wildspins, the main action of the pokie are the sticky Wilds during the free spin feature.
- RTP of 96% does not allow getting a positive mathematical expectation of winning in the online casino.
- The frequency of bonus free spins features - statistically, every 156th spins (0,64%).
- Variance (volatility) is 11.22 from 20 (high).
- The rating of the pokie for the wagering is 3.08 out of 10.
- Also, there is an additional feature called Wild Transfer, and it works like this: if at the time when you trigger the bonus there was a Wild on the reels, that symbol will be transferred directly to the bonus game and will remain there until the end.
- If you manage to hit 5 Wilds on all five reels during the free spins feature, then additional 5 spins will be added. Also, if you manage to form a wild line, then the winning amount can quickly go over of 1000x+.
- Cazino Zeppelin will suit you if you're a fan of sticky Wilds and pokies with high volatility. Other pokies from Yggdrasil are also quite volatile.
The following list features high volatility pokies. Of course, it’s not exhaustive; many other great games are also worth considering, but this collection of the top ten, in our opinion, is the most fortunate one. Treat high volatility pokies with great care and put small bets per spin to have money for more spins. Even while playing on DOA at low rates you shouldn’t forget that the machine can give more than 5000x+ bets.