If a player can affect the slot machine?
Man is not a robot. It is difficult for him to accept the fact that sometimes everything happens according to mathematical laws and nothing else. All licensed slot machines work on the same principle: the random outcome of each spin. Man always seeks patterns, so our brain is arranged. It is easier for us to perceive the surrounding reality when we see a pattern.
The sun rises in the morning and goes down in the evening. In the morning on the roads of traffic jams, late at night, they are not. When you are ill, the temperature rises and lays the nose. All these are algorithms by which we live and to which we are accustomed. The slots also work differently. Here the principle "if it is A, then B" will not work. If we click on the Spin button, there will be some random result. But we cannot accept this in any way. We want to control the situation. Further in our article in more detail about whether a player can affect the slot machine?
The main rules of any slot machine
Each spin is independent of the previous, and the random number generator identifies its result - that's the truth that you need to remind yourself. It is hard to believe that the same person can win the jackpot twice in the same slot. This is a real possibility, just the probability of such an event is incredibly small. It is so small that it cannot happen at all (although such cases still happened).
When you click on the Spin button, slot connects to its servers, and mathematical mechanism returns a result of the current spin. The slot machine can be "hot" or "cold", giving or not giving. Check out the following article:
How do work any online slot
If you take the high-quality software - for example, NetEnt, you can conduct the universal work of the slot machine in any casino. You launch the spin - reels spin - The result (the winning of some amount or loss). This scheme is even shorter: the Spin button is the result. The slot machine knows almost immediately than any spinning will end. But since all the pleasure is precisely in watching the reels, the player is arranging with a small performance. Only then, showing the result.
In total, when you launch the spin, the random number generator (RNG) creates a random order of numbers - for example, 3, 25, 6, 12, 4. What does it mean? To each numerical value corresponds to a position of the reel - say, in the first row the symbol A, in the second - scatter, in the third - the symbol of the cherry. And so, all five reels (or three, it all depends on the type of the slot).
If there are many different symbols in the slot machine, and there are many active lines, then such numerical variations can be a huge multitude (thousands of combinations). It's all about "why the slot machine does not give any winning." A slot can give if an online casino has this money in the prize pool for winning. The RNG is usually checked by the independent organisations on the subject their "randomness", which is confirmed by the relevant certificates and reports.
How does the slot work at the casino with a pirated software?
Many online casinos house have the pirated (fake) software (copies of original slot machines). This usually applies to the slots by Novomatic, Igrosoft and Playtech. The work of these slot machines is not randomised. The casino owner (theoretically) can establish the RTP of each slot by 0 - 50%.
The known myths and fallacies
Around the slot machines, there is a massive amount of disinformation, which is sometimes propagandised by online casinos themselves. Let's open the most fundamental myths (with some of them we do not agree, but showing text as it is from the author):
- The slot can be "hot" (ready to give money) or "cold" (not to give anything) - this is a fallacy. If only you do not play in the casinos with unlicensed software, the outcome of each spin will be an independent event. A slot machine can pay out winnings more often than usual at the short intervals. You get lucky, that's all. By the way, during the game, you can watch a long chain of losing spins (without any features) - this is also normal.
- If the slot has not given winning for a long time, it means that it may soon give, or may not. There is no such rule, and it cannot be. The slot machine will pay a big winning in the next spin and may not pay another 100 spins in a row. Everything is random, and it depends only on your luck.
- If the slot gave out a jackpot, then it will not need to play for a while - a common myth based on one simple fact: the probability of winning a jackpot is very small. That is why it is almost impossible to derail the jackpot twice or in any short time. But this does not mean that the slot machine has moved into some other "regime". Each spin is unique, and it does not depend on the previous payments.
- You cannot affect the work of the slot machine or improve the chances of winning. In total, it is possible, but not as many are used to doing. The strategies such as "Launching a slot using the buttons Spin and Max Bet" or "Ignoring an auto-game" have no practical basis and they are usual speculations. On the other hand, the player can still influence the frequency of their winnings. You can choose a more profitable slot - and this is the most important decision. For example, if a player has set a goal to maximise their chances of winning, then he should choose slot machines with a return above 96-97%. Also, pay attention to the dispersion (volatility) of the slot. The higher it is, the more you can win (but winnings will be less often). Another important moment is the use of bonuses. Taking, for example, welcome bonus with wagering of 30x is generous and completing the requirements in slots with RTP (return to player percentage) more than 97% allow you to get the positive mathematical expectation of winning.
- The frequent change of the slot helps to increase profits, and it is a fallacy. If during a game session you often change the slot machine (after winning or just so), then you will not have any effect on this. Nobody does follow what the slots you open. Yes, this is not necessary for anyone: because everything is calculated in advance in favour of the casino, that's all.
Is the result of the bonus feature known in advance?
The most pleasant thing in any modern slot is a bonus feature. Maximum potential can be here. The bonus feature often compensates all previous losses. However, what is a bonus feature from a technical point of view? Most often, this is the same random result sent by RNG. The player launches the spin, gets a bonus and hopes for a big winning. But in theory, the result is already defined. In the same way as in the ordinary spin.
The random number generator has already given a specific value, which will be shown to the player as a total winning in the bonus feature. The results of not all bonuses are predetermined. Here a lot depends on the software. For example, in the old slot machines, it is difficult to hope for a randomised bonus. In the modern slots, things are better with this, but this was even blamed on NetEnt. What can I say about other companies?
How to identify if the result of the bonus game is known or not?
I believe that there is no single-valued answer to this question. First, everything depends on what casino you play. The unlicensed casinos work on entirely different principles than a licensed one with reliable software. Already there, you cannot doubt: every bonus game is identified, and most often in favour of the casino. Secondly, the type of bonus game is also important. Free spins or the «quest» to choose from of the chests, presents, or God knows what else. By the way, in the second case, the winning of the bonus game is known in advance. Of course, there are exceptions.
There were bugs in some online casinos. They showed the result instantly, added to the balance. So, for sure software knows the result before. It does not depend on anything from your choice etc.
Record the results of the bonus features
Unlike winnings in the simple spins, a bonus feature is a rarer phenomenon. And so, they will need much less to identify any tendencies. If you often play in the same slot, you will try to record (anywhere) the results of bonus games. Let's say: game 1 - winning $ 100, game 2 - winning $ 35. Having collected a sufficient amount of data, we can conclude that how random is the result of the bonus game. Or how often to expect a big winning.
The problem is that some bonus games good give money so rarely that the dropping out of the next bonus round does not sometimes cause any inspiration. In part, this is a bug of developers (the bad "design" of the slot) and a consequence of high dispersion. In total, collecting dozens of meanings, you can already make a clear picture: yes, this slot gives, by little, or - yes, this slot machine gives money, but very rarely, the bonus features are mostly empty.
Well, let's sum up. As the heroes of the famous animated series "South Park" say: "What do we understand today?" We understood that slots are working according to a strictly defined algorithm. Not every spin depends on the previous one, and it does not depend on any actions of the player. A person can influence winning. For example, choosing the correct slot and taking a profitable bonus offer. Also, you should not hope for the bonus features in slots.